Students Taking Action with Recognition
STAR Events (Students Taking Action with Recognition) are competitive events in which members are recognized for proficiency and achievement in chapter and individual projects, leadership skills and occupational preparation. STAR Events offers individual skill development through the following: Cooperative--teams work to accomplish specific goals; individualized--members work alone to accomplish specific goals; and competitive--individual or team performance measured by an established set of criteria.
When competing in STAR Events, members and advisers need to check several sources.
1. Use the National FCCLA Competitive Events Guide for STAR Events which advance to national competition. The Guide is available on the national website under competitions.
2. Check the Resources for each STAR Events on the National STAR Events Resource page. This is a good resource for tips about event rubrics.
3. Use the Pennsylvania State STAR Events Manual for events that only compete in Pennsylvania. (updated 12/18/2016) The manual has been updated and there are several changes. Please ensure that STAR Event participants are prepared for competition utilizing this updated resource.
4. Check for updates on the pafccla.org STAR Events Updates page. This provides yearly information such as themes, menus, equipment lists, etc.
5. Check the FCCLA Competition Flow Chart to understand when and where competitions begin and end, along with deadlines. (Or open attachment below)
6. Several STAR Events require information about FCS standards. Use the Cross-Walking STAR Events to align projects with National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences.
7. STAR Events Demonstration Videos. During the 2013 National Leadership Conference, 48 STAR Events demonstrations were videotaped and are available on YouTube and SchoolTube channels. Please note that the contents of the videos may or may not meet the requirements of the events as outlined in the current Competitive Events Guide.
Pennsylvania Competitive Events Advisory Team (CEAT) Policies:
1. National Team from Pennsylvania - Chapter members/teams must earn a minimum score of 75 points to be named to represent Pennsylvania FCCLA on the national team. (Passed July 23, 2014)
2. STAR Events substitutions are allowed for the PA FCCLA State Leadership Conference according to the following guidelines: (Passed October 2013)
- The chapter member must be an affiliated FCCLA member on the state and national level by the Pennsylvania affiliation deadline.
- The chapter member must be registered for State Leadership Conference by the deadline posted on the state website.
- The chapter member must be registered in a STAR Event by the deadline posted on the state website.
- The chapter member must meet the criteria, as stated in the Competitive Events Guide, for participation in the specific event.
- Substitutions must be made no later than one week prior to the first day of State Leadership Conference. Substitutions are made by emailing the Corrections/Cancellations/Change Form to the State Facilitator and sending a separate email stating the STAR Events changes to the STAR Events Coordinator at email@example.com.
3. Chapter Participation in STAR Events (From PA CEAT Team - updated 7/24/2013)
All STAR Events (except PA State STAR Events Manual) follow the rules and guidelines in the National FCCLA Competitive Events Guide. When referring to the national guide, please follow the guidelines below as determined by the PA CEAT Team.
- Statements in the FCCLA National Competitive Events Guide referring to "STATE" participation in an event/category translate to "CHAPTER" participation on the state level, with the exceptions stated below.
- The PA CEAT Team has determined that multiple entries from a chapter in an event category will not be allowed. When determining participation in STAR Events at the PA State Leadership Conference, only one entry per chapter per event category will be accepted.
- If you have any questions regarding participation, please contact a member of the CEAT Team. A CEAT Team Directory can be found under the Contact Us Tab.
4. STAR Events participants are required to register for and attend the full conference.
5. Chapter Volunteers for STAR Events: Chapters are required to provide one evaluator, lead consultant, and /or room consultant for every 6 STAR Events participants, adding 1 additional volunteer for numbers within increments of 6.
- Chapter advisers may serve as lead consultants.
- Advisers, assistants, and students may serve as room consultants.
- Students, who are volunteered to assist with STAR Events, cannot be participating in a STAR Event on the same day.
- Administrators, parents, alumni, and business representatives may serve as evaluators.
- All volunteer assistants that chapters can provide are appreciated and needed.
6. Cell phones and any other electronic equipment are not permitted at STAR Events unless they are a part of a presentation and in airplane mode. Any cell phones found with the student will be immediately surrendered by the student until the activity has been completed. The student will be disqualified from the event.
7. Team Definitions:
- Team events may have one, two, or three participants from the same chapter or school, with the exception of Parliamentary Procedure, which may have four to eight participants from the same chapter or school.
- Team events with only senior (grades 10–12) comprehensive and occupational (grades 10–12) categories may not include members through grade 9.
- A team composed of both junior (through grade 9) and senior (grades 10–12) comprehensive or occupational (grades 10-12) members must enter the senior category.
Pennsylvania Hotline for STAR Events:
If you have questions or concerns about STAR Events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
FROM THE CEAT COMMITTEE:Thank you to all advisers, administrators, parents, and students who assisted with the 2016 STAR Events at State Leadership Conference. STAR Events are successful because of all the wonderful volunteers who give their time during the conference.
List of STAR Events:
Pennsylvania State STAR Events Events
headquarters by November 15th.